9 Day Tour, exploring real Kythira, from north to south
Doing the Kythira Walking Tour, you discover all the beauties of Kythira island. The unspoilt nature, the quiet and sometimes completely abandoned villages, the surprising culture and the hospitable islanders make you feel that every day is a gift.
For the really enthusiastic walkers, we have developed a 9 day self-guided independent walking tour of more than 150 kilometres. In 7 routes you walk from hotel to hotel. The distance of a route varies from 22 to 27 kilometres. You walk 6 to 8 hours per day, including breaks and visits to highlights on the route. Day 6 is a day of rest in beautiful Mylopotamos village. On this day, you just do a short walk in the neighbourhood.
If you prefer to walk less days or to have more days of rest, just tell us. We will arrange your own Kythira Walking Tour. And, of course, it is possible to extend your holiday on Kythira with a stay in one of the accommodations of Pyrgos House.
Arrival on Kythira and transfer to your hotel in Agia Pelagia
To get into the mood, a short walk along the coast in the direction of Limni, a small lake. Enjoy the views and the ruins.
From Agia Pelagia to Platia Ammos (21,9 km)
A walk through nature, villages and hamlets. Via the hills around Agia Pelagia and the church of “Panagia Despina tou Vouno” towards Karavas. From here you cross the valley with springs and walk towards the beach of Agios Nikolaos, the Moudari lighthouse and, finally, Platia Ammos.
From Platia Ammos to Potamos (23,4 km)
A day in the middle of nature. Via the hills around Karavas you walk through the impressive area of Ochelles with stunning views towards the west coast. From Ochelles you walk back inland to Potamos.
From Potamos to Mitata (23,1 km)
A walk surrounded by history, culture and nature. You will visit the former capital Paleochora and the Osios Theodoros monastery. Via Pitsinades, Aroniadika and Kastrisianika, all picturesque villages, you continue towards Mitata.
From Mitata to Mylopotamos (23,6 km)
You start in the middle of Kythira and walk towards the west coast. You will see the impressive Black Cave near Mitata and pass small villages with beautiful old churches, the mythological Tower of Agamemnon, the Panagia Orphani monastery until you will reach Mylopotamos.
Around Mylopotamos (9,1 km)
An easy and beautiful walk towards the waterfall, the water mills and the Byzantine settlement of Kato Chora.
From Mylopotamos to Livadi (26,7 km)
During this walk you will visit a restored windmill and the most important monastery of Kythira, the Panagia Myrtidiotissa. You walk along the pilgrimage route and continue towards the south of the island along the west coast and traditional villages.
A long circular route from Livadi (27,2 km) (*)
Through the south of Kythira with churches in caves, the Chora capital with Venetian Castle and the scenic coastal village Kapsali. Via the cave of Agia Sophia and along old footpaths you head back towards Livadi.
Departure from Kythira or extension of your holiday in one of the accommodations of Pyrgos House.
If you extend your stay, today you can take a short walk around Livadi and visit the Bridge of Katouni, the Byzantine Museum and a Ceramics Atelier.
€ 450,00 per person (based on 2 people travelling together and sharing a double room). Surcharge 1 single room: € 150,00
(*) if you think the last walk is too long for you, we have an alternative route of 16 km. With this option you will walk the same route from Livadi but stop in Kapsali, a village beautifully located along the coast, where you will stay in accommodation with a lovely sea view. By taking this shorter walk, you will have more time to spend at Feloti Bay and in Chora, the capital (with the Archaeological Museum and the Venetian Castle). The next morning, depending on the departure time, you could do a short walk to Agia Sophia Cave (8 km).
The price for this alternative Kythira Walking Tour programme is 475 euro per person.
- Transfer from and to Kythira Airport and transfer of luggage on walking days
- Eight nights bed and breakfast in hotel or pension (accommodation ranges from simple to luxurious)
- Information pack The Kythira Walking Tour with route descriptions, information about Kythira and a detailed map (1:35.000)
Your flight is not included. We are happy to inform you about possibilities. Please be sure that you arrange travel insurance.
- Period: you can start The Kythira Walking Tour every day of the week from March to June and from September to November.
- Difficulty: rather difficult. Kythira is a hilly island, per walk the descent or ascension is 500 – 950 meters. The walking paths are generally good and clearly visible, sometimes they are more difficult. You should be in a good physical condition and it is preferable that you are experienced in doing self-guided independent walks.
- Walking outfit: good and thick-soled walking shoes. Protection against sun, wind and rain.
- Accommodations: pensions or small family hotels, on a bed and breakfast basis. Accommodations are subject to change.
- Luggage: your luggage will be transferred from hotel to hotel.
- Lunch: not included. There are shops in Agia Pelagia, Potamos and Livadi. In Mitata and Mylopotamos there are only small shops (not very well stocked).
- Dinner: depending on the village, you will have dinner in a restaurant or in your accommodation. In this case, the owner will cook and you take pot luck. Dinner is not included.
- ATMs: please be sure that you bring enough cash because they are only ATMs in Potamos, in Livadi and in Chora.
- Assistance: Pyrgos House offers the service of a telephone number (24h a day/ 7 days a week) in case you need any assistance.
- Responsibility: At all times, you participate in your chosen activity at your own risk. Pyrgos House is not responsible for any inaccuracies of the published material you will receive that, to the best of our knowledge, was correct at the time of printing. Pyrgos House is not responsible for death, injury, or illness of The Kythira Walking Tour participants. You need to have adequate insurance with a reputable insurer to cover personal injury, medical expenses, repatriation expenses, loss or damage of luggage and its contents.