Greece, music and dance are inextricably linked. There are countless traditional Greek dances, every area on the mainland and every island has its own music and dance.
Have you ever wished you could dance at the panigiria, the village festivals? Or wanted to join the spontaneously dancing Greeks in a restaurant or on a square?
If so, then you must join this 13 days’ Greek Dance Holiday in Kythira. A professional teacher will teach you the steps of several traditional Greek dances. The Tsirigotikos and Mesaritikos, two famous Kythirian dances, are of course part of the programme.
Rena Kragiopoulou will be your teacher. Born in Greece, she lives in Germany nowadays. For many years she has taught Greek dancing at dance schools and seminars, both in Greece, Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
This dance holiday is for both beginners and for more advanced Greek dance lovers.
Our Greek Dance Holiday 2024 will be from May 3rd to May 15th. We chose these dates mainly because in 2024, Greek Orthodox Easter is on May 5th. In Kythira, Easter Sunday is celebrated with live music and dance in Agia Pelagia and we will be there to dance on the street, together with many Greeks.
Apart from dance lessons, we have programmed two excursion days. We will be visiting several villages and interesting locations in order to tell you more about the rich Kythirian culture, tradition and nature.
Arrival: May 3rd 2024
Departure: May 15th 2024
- Friday May 3rd: arrival at Kythira Airport. Bus transfer to your hotel in Kapsali, Porto Delfino; welcome meeting in hotel, followed by a buffet dinner; 8 pm departure to Chora to attend the Epitafios procession (on Good Friday, everywhere in Greece they carry Christ’s bier in procession through the village or neighbourhood. The Epitafios in Chora is Kythira’s most important one).
- Saturday May 4th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm
- Sunday May 5th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 1 pm departure to Agia Pelagia for Greek Orthodox Easter dance festival; 6 pm transfer to Kapsali
- Monday May 6th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm
- Tuesday May 7th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm
- Wednesday May 8th: 9.30 am departure for excursion to Mylopotamos with a guided walk to the waterfall and through the shady watermill valley; lunch in Mylopotamos; transfer to Kato Livadi for a visit to Roussos Ceramics, a local pottery workshop; transfer to Kapsali
- Thursday May 9th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm
- Friday May 10th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm
- Saturday May 11th: free day
- Sunday May 12th: 09.30 am departure for excursion to the local Sunday morning market in Potamos and a walk to Paleochora, Kythira’s former capital, now abandoned; transfer to Avlemonas for lunch; transfer to Kapsali
- Monday May 13th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm
- Tuesday May 14th: dance lesson 10 am – 12 noon; 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm; farewell dinner in Kapsali (with live music and dance)
- Wednesday May 15th: transfer from Porto Delfino Hotel to Kythira Airport
1395.00 Euro per person, based on a double room.
Surcharge for single room: 450.00 Euro.
- 12 nights’ accommodation in Porto Delfino Hotel in Kapsali (breakfast included)
- Welcome dinner on arrival day; farewell dinner on May 14th; lunches on excursion days May 5th, May 8th, May 12th
- Dance lessons according to the programme
- All transfers mentioned in the programme
- Your flight to Kythira
- Extra taxi costs if you arrive and/or depart on other dates
- Personal expenditure
- Participants: maximum 15
- Language: English (dance teacher Rena also speaks German and Greek)
- Your flight to Kythira: you arrange your own flights. There are domestic flights from Athens to Kythira. If you want, you can combine this trip with a visit to Athens. Pyrgos House is happy to advise you.
- Assistance: Pyrgos House offers the service of a telephone number (24h a day/7 days a week) in case you need any assistance.
- Travel insurance: we advise you to have adequate insurance with a reputable insurer to cover personal injury, medical expenses, repatriation expenses, loss or damage of luggage etc.