Avlemonas is a traditional fishing village. For many centuries, during the Venetian rule (1400 – 1800 AD), it used to be Kythira’s official harbour – witness the beautiful Castello (a small castle built in 1560). Because of its naturally shaped deep bay, even nowadays Avlemonas is still a safe home port for islanders and visitors.
For many generations, families in Avlemonas have made a living from fishing. Like the Sklavos family who, in cooperation with Pyrgos House, have organized this unique boat excursion showing you how they professionally fish with nets.
Fishermen Dimitris and Georgos will sail out with you. During the trip on the sea, they share with you their love for Kythira and the sea. Just outside Avlemonas they will put out the fishing nets. Then you will sail along the east coast at a relaxed pace. Dimitris and Georgos will tell you more about their life as fishermen and about the archaeological finds on the seabed. They will show you several secluded beaches and caves. There is time for a pleasant and refreshing swim. And if you are lucky, you will see seals and / or dolphins.
Then it is time to haul up the fishing nets. It is always exciting to see how big the catch will be.
Having returned to the harbour, the fishermen will accompany you to the fish taverna Sotiris, where your table is set. You will enjoy a lovely meal of fresh fish, salads and a glass of wine.
- Departure from ‘Agios Nikolaos’ harbour in Avlemonas
- Putting out the nets
- Time for a trip along the east coast with several secluded beaches and caves (the area between Diakofti and Kalamos. The route is dependent on the wind direction and you will be informed by the fishermen during boarding)
- One or two swimming stops and a refreshing snack on board
- Hauling up the nets
- Return to Avlemonas
- Dinner at fish taverna Sotiris in Avlemonas (if the excursion is in the morning, you will enjoy a lovely lunch)
Price: 60.00 euro per person
- A 4-hour boat trip
- Snacks, water and soft drinks on board
- Lunch or dinner after the boat trip (fresh fish, salads, wine and soft drinks)
- Departure: Agios Nikolaos Harbour in Avlemonas (fishing harbour)
- Participants: minimum number of participants 6, maximum 8
- Time: departure time depends on wind direction; either in the morning around 9 am, or in the afternoon around 5 pm
- Language: English and Greek
- Goggles are available on request
- Duration: 6 hours (excursion and lunch/dinner)
- Private tour: we are happy to discuss with you the possibilities of doing this excursion for your own group of friends (less than 6 participants)